Bell pepper’s are an extremely versatile vegetable to work with! The hollow interiors of bell peppers will tempt you to fill them up with delicious stuffing and create a stunner. Every cuisine has a version of stuffed green bell peppers and Indian cuisine is no exception. They love to stuff them up with spicy filling. The elements of the filling range from rice, beans, lentil, potatoes, cottage cheese and meat. Though you might find them in other cuisine too but it is the use of spices which gives an Indian touch to these stuffed green peppers.
A mixture of cottage cheese and potatoes is one of the most common fillings for green bell peppers. The creaminess of the cottage cheese is perfectly complimented by the piquancy of Indian spices while a hint of dry mango powder gives it a tangy twist.
While you gorge on these scrumptious bell peppers, you are actually earning benefits for your health at the same time. Bell peppers are packed with anti oxidants and nutrients, especially Vitamin C, and protect you from several maladies. Hence bring the taste of india on your plate with these stuffed green bell peppers and relish the Indian flavours.
- 4 green bell peppers
- 200 gm cottage cheese, grated
- ½ cup cheese
- 3 medium potatoes, mashed
- Few sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 1’’ ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12-15 raisins
- A handful of cashews
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
- Salt to taste
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Warm up your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the top of each bell pepper and scoop out the seeds.
- Combine the mashed potatoes, raisins, cashew nuts, cottage cheese, cilantro, spices and salt in a bowl and keep aside.
- Sauté the onions in oil over medium heat until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the green chillies and ginger, continue to cook for some time.
- Stir in the cottage cheese mixture and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Stuff portions of the cooked filling inside each bell pepper.
- Top each of them with the grated cheese and arrange them on baking dish.
- Bake the bell peppers for 15 minutes and serve hot.