Tossing up a delicious stir fry for your dinner, needs nominal skills for cooking and hardly calls for much of your time. If you are planning for a fuss free, light yet healthy dinner after a hectic day at work, choose to end your day with a lip smacking stir fry. They are not only delicious but their health benefits make dinner even more pleasurable.
Brussels sprouts with apples stir fry is one such dish which pleasure your taste buds and body at the same time. The vibrant Brussels sprouts mingle with the fruity essence of apples to create a magical dish. The maple syrup enhances the sweetness which is balanced by the nutty flavour of crunchy pine nuts. The fried tofu adds to the goodness of the dish. You can add some grated low fat cheese over the whole dish to give it a rich, salty feel but this stir fry tastes equally good without any additions.
Like any other superfood, Brussels sprouts are packed with goodness. They help to lower the bad cholesterol in our blood and enrich our body with vitamins and minerals. They also battle against diseases like ovarian and prostate cancer as well as a number of heart disorders.
So relish the healthy and tasty Brussels along with tofu and apples in this stir dry dish and enjoy your dinner with your loved ones.
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 large apple, diced
- 4 oz firm tofu, cubed
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts, chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Immerse the apple dices in a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice.
- Sauté the tofu in heated oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the tofu after about 5 minutes and sauté for a while.
- Pour in the maple syrup and stir well to coat the sautéed ingredients.
- Add the soaked apples to the above cooking mixture, season with sauce and sauté for a minute over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the shredded Brussels sprouts and cook for a couple of minutes, until some of them start to brown.
- Add the pine nuts and serve immediately.