A Chinese delicacy serves as a delightful deviation from typical lunch menus. Chicken with walnuts and celery is one such oriental dish which will surprise you with its simplicity and outstanding flavours.
The walnuts deliver a nutty undertone to the dish which goes well with the delicate refreshing aroma of the celery. Oyster sauce lends a subtle salty taste to this dish and adds 5-stars to this delicious dish. Serve it with boiled or steamed rice at its side and you have a light yet filling lunch to enjoy.
Pick low fat, skinned chicken to prepare this meal in order to cut down the calories. The walnuts are a natural marvel for our wellbeing owing to the bunch of therapeutic effects they exert on us. These nuts help us get rid of the bad cholesterol in exchange of their good counterpart. Thus walnuts can be definitely called the well-wisher of our heart.
Walnuts act as a mood enhancer and help to solve the problem of troubled sleep. So a generous helping of this oriental dish can relieve you of stress, uplift your mood and prepare you for a sound sleep at night.
Hence, go Chinese with this healthy yet naive dish and celebrate the well being it brings forth.
- 8 oz boned chicken, skinless and cut into 1’’ pieces
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brandy
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 oz walnut halves
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 140 ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken with soy sauce, brandy, corn flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok over medium heat and add the oil as well as garlic. Cook for a minute to flavour the oil.
- Remove the garlic and add the chicken in two batches.
- Stir fry quickly without allowing the chicken to brown.
- Remove them and add the walnuts to the wok.
- Cook for 2 minutes until the walnuts turn crisp and brown.
- Slice the celery into the wok and cook for 2 minutes,
- Add the oyster sauce and water; bring it to boil.
- While boiling, add the chicken to the pan and stir to coat all the ingredients well.
- Serve immediately.