Panini is a popular type of grilled sandwich prepared the Italian way. The sandwich which started its journey during the 16th century from Italy; has now travelled the entire world and dominates the breakfast tables worldwide. This simple recipe makes Panini a favourite option for a quick breakfast. Follow a few tips while making your Panini and voila! You will end up with the best sandwich you have ever tasted. Choose your bread with care. Normal bread is a strict no-no! Go for breads seasoned with herbs like ciabatta and foccacia for great tasting sandwiches and remember to choose the dense ones so that the bread can hold the hefty filling. When it comes to making the filling, you can let your creative side run wild. Ham, salami, chicken, eggs, cheese and veggies work well with Panini as long as they are thinly sliced and grilled.
If you want your Panini to be healthy, load it up with superfoods like skinless chicken, egg whites and low fat cheese along with tomatoes and some leafy greens. Comfort your senses with this scrumptious “Italian-gone-global” sandwich and enjoy!
Chicken is a superb source of high-quality protein. It contains selenium as well as many vitamins and minerals to help promote a healthy immune system; and vitamin B6, which some studies have shown to promote heart health.
- 3 ounces grilled skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 whole grain bread, sliced horizontally
- 1.5 ounces olive oil
- 4 ounce egg white
- 1.5 ounces low fat cheese, shredded
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Halves of 2 tomatoes, charred
- 2-3 arugula leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- • Coat the outer surface of both bread halves with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- • Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and scramble the egg whites with it.
- • Stir in the cheese and mix well with the scrambled egg.
- • Shake the lemon juice and some oil together in a bottle.
- • Combine the arugula, tomatoes, salt and pepper and toss them with the lemon-oil dressing.
- • Arrange the chicken slices on one half of the bread and top it up with the cheesy scrambled egg.
- • Finish with a layer of the above veggie mix.
- • Place the other half of bread on top and put it in a Panini press or griddle.
- • Toast the sandwich until it turns crispy and attains a golden hue.
- • Serve