There are few mornings when you wake up with snack cravings and your body hankers for something appetizing. That’s when our favourite appetizers play the role of breakfast dish, though often they might turn out to be fatty and unhealthy. Fritters can be an amazing breakfast snack on which you can chomp merrily and satisfy your cravings. If you are sceptical about their oily side, then just shape them up with the veggies of your choice and you will end up with a healthy plate of breakfast goodness. However, if you are tired of the same old veggie fritters, try ones with lentils in them – they rock and fulfil your criteria for a nourishing breakfast at the same time. These crunchy munchies are a food lover’s joy and the spices present you with a piquant dish which leaves you longing for more. A splash of lemon juice or a spoonful of yogurt-mint sauce is what you need to make these lentil fritters into an ultimate treat.
Lentils might be cheaper in price but when it comes to their nutritious attributes, they are among the wealthiest ones. Apart being a rich source of protein, they are also full of fibres which can ward of a number of detrimental diseases. They can be digested easily and accelerate your metabolism, thus allowing your body to work perfectly. So breakfast snacks can be no more sinful and lentil fritters are the ideal proof of this.
- 1 ¼ cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup rolled oats, grinded
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Few pinches of red pepper flakes
- • Boil the lentils in salted water, and then let them simmer under low heat for about 15 minutes.
- • Drain them and mash them up with garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes and 3 tbsp of the ground oats.
- • Mix the egg with mashed lentils and season with salt and pepper.
- • Shape the mixture into round fritters and cover them with the residual ground oats.
- • Let them chill in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- • Heat oil over medium heat and fry the fritters in batches until they brown on both sides.
- • Serve with a lemon wedge at their side.