Pancakes have always been a favourite breakfast worldwide and make a wholesome meal which kick-starts your day with a pleasant note. Making pancakes give you the scope to fill them up with the stuffing of your choice. So if you are looking for a nutritious breakfast, simply fill it with a bunch of superfoods and you will end up eating a nourishing meal.
An orange pancake is one such yummy edition of this amazing yet ridiculously simple dish. This pancake has a cheesy tone which mingles with the mild tartness of orange rinds within, while the nuts add a nipping punch. The syrupy orange sauce is the ultimate stunning part of this pancake and the very sight will make you munch on it right away. If you find the combination of orange rinds and orange sauce a little over the top, swap the fruity sauce with tinned, stoned cherries for a delicious variation.
Like any other super foods orange won’t let you down when it comes to boosting up your fitness level. Oranges put a check on diabetes, asthma, arthritis and kidney stones. They are a well wisher of your heart and helps the body to police normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. So greet you morning with orange pancakes and enjoy their blissful flavours and health benefits at the same time.
- 4 oz plain flour, sieved
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 280 ml milk
- 1 lb low fat cheese
- 4 oz sugar
- Grated rind of an orange
- 1 oz nuts, finely chopped
- 120 ml orange juice
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 4 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 4 tbsp orange liqueur
- Pour 1 tbsp oil, whole egg and egg yolk into the flour and beat well.
- Gradually beat in the milk and set aside for half an hour.
- Beat the cheese and sugar together with the orange rind until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chopped nuts and set aside; your filling is ready.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, pour in a small amount of oil and spread evenly.
- Pour about 2 tbsp of batter into the hot pan and swirl the batter to coat the base evenly.
- Cook until the bottom is a light golden brown and turn over.
- Cook the other side and stack up the pancakes on a plate.
- Spread some of the filling on one side of each pancake and roll up into triangles.
- Pour a mixture of orange juice and corn flour into a pan and bring to the boil until thickened and clear.
- Stir in the orange segments and liqueur.
- Spoon the sauce over pancakes to serve.