Do you have a craving for Italian food? yet your health conscious mind tells you to stay away from high-carb pasta and lasagne. Most of the time the food cravings start to dominate and then the time arrives when you have to look for a suitable alternative which will allow you to satisfy your cravings in a healthy way.
Substitute the lasagne sheets with slices of a vegetable and you will be presented with a plate of delicious low-carb lasagna. What better choice than zucchini for the veggie – a versatile element to work with. The mild flavour of zucchini blends well with the rich cheesy sauce while a splash of red wine turns this dish into a luxury.
It is not only packed with flavours but is also supplies us with a fair dose of vitamins and minerals. So sooth your Italian food craving with zucchini lasagne and enjoy the warm summer or cool winters.
- 2 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 small bell pepper, cubed
- ¼ cup red wine
- 16 oz spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz grated low fat parmesan cheese
- 7 oz low fat ricotta cheese
- Salt to taste
- Warm up your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add a dash of salt all over the zucchini slices and set aside in a colander.
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat for few minutes, season with black pepper.
- Stir in the onions and green pepper along with the fresh herbs.
- Pour in the wine and cook for some time, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the eggs with parsley and ricotta in a bowl into an even mixture.
- Spread some cooked meat mixture into the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Top it up with a layer of half the zucchini slices followed by half of the ricotta mixture, the entire spinach and mushrooms. Continue the layering process with the remaining half of the ingredients in the same manner.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top and cover the dish with an aluminium foil.
- Bake it for 45 minutes, uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Cut and serve.